Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Three Minute Drill

Three Minute Drill

We are just about to begin football again and most fans know about the two minute drill. That is the final push before the end of each half when the team with the ball exerts a little extra effort to score. Things are a little more intense and often big gains are recorded.

Back in school, my mentor and friend challenged me to prepare for the three minute drill. (For those of you who know me or LeTourneau, it was Sarge.) One day he asked me a question that I have never forgotten.

“What would you do if you came upon an accident where a guy had run a red light and struck a fellow in the cross walk? As you kneel over him, you see that his face is crushed and he cannot get air in or out, but he is conscious. You can tell that he is dying as you look into his eyes. You have about three minutes. What would you say in those three minutes?”

That specific episode does not happen regularly, but we often, knowingly or unknowingly, do talk to someone for the last time. When you know, for instance that someone has a disease and is dying, you may have more than three minutes, but this could be the last time to talk.

I have refined that thought over the years. I should have used it a couple of times, which to my shame, I failed. But I am ready now. Start with a question.

May I ask you a question? Do you know about Jesus? [You usually get one of two answers here.] If they say, “Yes,” continue with, “Have you asked Him to save you and take you to heaven?”

[If they say “Yes” rejoice and continue to pray for their relief. If they say, “No,” ask another question. “Do you want to right now?” If they do, rejoice and pray for their relief. If they say, “No,” ask if you can pray for them. Do it either way, silently or aloud. The Holy Spirit will take it from there.]

The other answer to the first question is quite often, “I do not believe in God.”

Respond with, “I do. And I have asked Jesus to forgive my sins and take me to heaven. Could I ask you another question?” What else can he say? He is lying there dying.

Continue, “Let’s suppose that I am wrong. There is no Jesus or heaven awaiting. When I die will I be disappointed? For that matter, will I even know that I was wrong? If evolution is true and we are just a bunch of developed protoplasm, death is just another step in returning these basic elements back into the cycle of life for some other person or thing. Here is the key question. What have I lost?

“There was nothing after life, and I am there, but will not know it. I have lost nothing.”

Keep right on going. “Now reverse the story. What if you die and find out that you are wrong. There is a God and you have missed the opportunity to get right with Him. You will have lost the chance for all eternity.”

“We know that both of these cannot be true. Who has the worse option? Let me lead you in a prayer to choose God. You have nothing to lose.”

That took about 70 seconds. Under pressure it will be harder, but if you have practiced, like the team in the two minute drill, your chances of success go way up. Think about this and be ready. I am reminded of the climactic scene of the movie, “God is not dead.” Recall the professor on the highway, dying. It worked for him. Get ready. Score! It is never too late to tell them. Just like the thief on the cross, they can be with Jesus not just in paradise, but heaven.

“This is the timeout with three minutes left in the half.”

Note: The next post will continue this discussion with other options. I did not want this one to get too complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment