Thursday, August 8, 2019

A Shepherd’s Psalm

A young lamb lies in the arms of his shepherd. The lamb’s legs dangle below the supporting forearm and his chin nestles into the crook of the shepherd’s elbow. He is a little bloody and mangled, but he is safe. The shepherd fondly gazes down on the helpless little bundle of wounded wool resting there.

He thinks back a few minutes. As he was tending his father’s sheep, to his horror a lion or a bear came and took a lamb from the flock. 35 (He) went out after him and attacked him, and rescued it from his mouth; and when he rose up against (the shepherd boy), (he) seized him by his beard and struck him and killed him. 36 (He) has killed both the lion and the bear. (1 Samuel 17:34-36)

“Just be quiet, little lamb. I will take care of you. You have nothing to fear.”  As he ruminated a little more, he mused, “I have a Shepherd too, you know.”
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.

Then he switches his focus to the Shepherd. Now he is comparing his own care for the lamb to the care that the Good Shepherd affords to him. This is particularly poignant to both the young man and the sheep.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

The lamb has it pretty good, with a brave and dedicated care giver. But our friend, you have surely identified him as David, is comparing his own care with what he offered his flock. Even all the lovingkindness that he could lavish on his sheep could not compare to the prospect of living in the house of his Lord forever. (Psalm 23) Amen. Glory.

“The LORD is my shepherd.”  Is He your Shepherd too? Today is the best time to begin the relationship and let Him care for you–forever. If you are already there, just relax and praise Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment