Friday, November 25, 2016

Fear

Does anyone remember the special assemblies we used to have at school? I think that they were to enhance the scientific progress in the US after Russia launched their Sputnik before we had a satellite in orbit. I am not sure how teaching elementary kids some odd science and culture would help that, but we had some interesting ones.

One in particular was about snakes. (This will get our rockets into orbit, how?) The presenters had some big old ugly things. Pythons or boas or something like that. They talked about how neat snakes were and so on. Now my Mom would have made short work of their “pet” with her hoe had she been there. “Snakes are cursed. So I kill ‘em.” Nuff said.

Anyway, after the presentation of how useful and lovable herpetols (If herpetology is the study of snakes, then is a snake a herpetol?) the presenters walked around the gym and let anyone who wanted to, touch the things. Well, I was not going to touch them with a ten foot pole.

But Patti Harris loved snakes and crowded to the aisle to pet the pet. Then as she returned to her seat close to me, H and L were close on our class roster and we sat in alphabetical order, she teased me by stroking my arm. Now ordinarily I would have done anything to have PattiHarris (all one name) pay any attention to me and for her to TOUCH me was almost heaven. But not after that filthy snake! I washed my arm in the bathroom for several minutes. There was no sandpaper available, but I used as much soap as I could.

Now I am not afraid of snakes. I just hate them. Mom said, “If God cursed them that is good enough for me.” And speaking of fear, we find many references to it in the Bible.

One of the most often repeated phrases is, “Do not fear,” or “...be afraid.” It is in those terms or something similar well over 360 times. At least one for each day of the year. There is an interesting one in Matthew 14, beginning about verse 27. The disciples were out on the Sea of Galilee and saw Jesus walking to them on the water in the middle of a storm. They were scairt.
27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid.”
28 Peter said to Him, “Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.” 29 And He said, “Come!” And Peter got out of the boat, and walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But seeing the wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, “Lord, save me!”

Good old Peter. Completely fearless, until he was scared to death.
31 Immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and took hold of him, and said to him, “You of little faith, why did you doubt?”

And we have the Lord’s insight on why most of us suffer fear. Doubt undermines our faith and belief. Will God really be able to help, save, deliver me? When doubt overwhelms our confidence in Him, we are at the mercy of the waves and “gravity.”

And it is appropriate that we mix the concept of fear with snakes. Old Lucifer took that form and instilled, guess what, doubt into Eve and she doubted God. “Did God really say...?” If he can get us to doubt the Lord, we turn our eyes to the waves and the wind and sink.

When, not if, but when that happens, just remember Peter’s prayer. “Lord save me!” It still works in spite of what the old Serpent throws at us.

And to finish our thought, turn to Isaiah 43:1 
But now, thus says the Lord, your Creator, O Jacob, And He who formed you, O Israel, “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!”

He made us. He redeemed us. He named us. He claimed us. What is there to fear?


No comments:

Post a Comment