Tuesday, July 11, 2017

More on Cyrus Isaiah 46, 47

We discussed the (hypothetical) process of convincing Cyrus to cooperate with God as Daniel exposed Cyrus to fulfilled prophesy. (Back to Isaiah.) Since the role of Cyrus had been traced back at least 150 years, he was inclined, one would think, to think that his best role would be to acquiesce to the One Who created everything. He saw evidence of this in his own recent history.

Any logical analysis would concur with Isaiah 45:9.
    "Woe to the one who quarrels with his Maker—An earthenware vessel among the vessels of earth! Will the clay say to the potter, ‘What are you doing?' Or the thing you are making say, ‘He has no hands'?"

The statements are literally ludicrous. Clay questioning a potter? And more fantastic is for a pot accusing the artisan of "having no hands?"  That is just hilarious. I played ball against a "yappy" catcher who insulted us by chatter to his pitcher by razzing us.

"Hey batter, batter, batter! No stick. No stick. Just chuck it in here, Duke. He can't hit it."

It was gratifying to pop one out there and then taunt him by faking a steal on every succeeding pitch. The guys on the bench took it up. "He has no arm. Go ahead and run."

We did have "sticks" and he had an arm. But no one literally said he has "no stick" or he "had no arm." But a vase on the turntable is talking back to the professional. Cyrus did not fall for that trap.

Chapter 46 pokes fun at the fake gods.
    "Bel has bowed down, Nebo stoops over; Their images are consigned to the beasts and the cattle."
The idols are "floppy" and ultimately are compared to "beasts and cattle." They are "burdens" for the people who "follow" them. Actually they are the ones who lug the dead weight around. Even the "best" thing that they can "make" is a hunk of gold that even has to be nailed to a board to remain upright.

Throughout these chapters, God continually repeats the claim of uniqueness. "I am God, there is no other. There is no one like Me." No one can duplicate Him, or even make something "like" Him, regardless of how inferior.

I honestly think Cyrus got goose bumps when Daniel read verse 11 to him.
    Calling a bird of prey from the east, The man of My purpose from a far country. Truly I have spoken; truly I will bring it to pass. I have planned it, surely I will do it.

This could have applied to Nebuchadnezzar, as he invaded from the "east" to subjugate Israel. (Actually, Nebby came from the north as he swung around the Tigris-Euphrates crescent to avoid the desert in between Judah and Babylon.) But Cyrus came from "farther" east and he had a role in Jewish history. And Daniel surely reminded Cyrus of the fulfilled prophesies from before.

Quick, look back at Isaiah 13:17:
    Behold, I am going to stir up the Medes against them, Who will not value silver or take pleasure in gold.
The "them" is the Babylonians. And in Isaiah 48:14 and 15 Cyrus is specifically mentioned.
    And His arm will be against the Chaldeans. 15  "I, even I, have spoken; indeed I have called him, I have brought him, and He will make his ways successful.
 As surely as God had spoken and it occurred; as surely as God had planned it, He would do it.

If I were Cyrus, I would not be contemplating how to resist. I would be reveling in the opportunity to cooperate with this Creator, The Sovereign of the universe. What a privilege. Cyrus was all in. In fact, I would posit the idea that Cyrus was astonished that Israel was not cooperating with the Lord.

Chapter 47 reaffirms (remember this is prophesy to Isaiah, but history for Cyrus) the fall of Babylon. Babylon did not expect to be overthrown. This chapter mirrors that thinking. But "daughter, Babylon" was ignoring God, the Creator. And look at what God said that He was doing: 46:11
    Calling a bird of prey from the east, The man of My purpose from a far country. Truly I have spoken; truly I will bring it to pass. I have planned it, surely I will do it.

Notice that the subject of this must be Cyrus. "...from the east" describes his approach to Babylon. Persia was east of Babylon.  Notice the repeated phrase: "I have spoken, I will bring it to pass. I planned it, I will do it."

If a prophet came to you and pointed out how God specifically mentioned you in the Scripture, how would you respond? Well, we all do not get our names in this Book, but we are there Listen.

    ...Whosoever believes on Him shall not perish but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)

Do you see your name? "Who-so-ever." That is as clear as Cyrus saw his name. And the cooperative that Jesus, in John, offered is much more rewarding and significant than just defeating the Babylonian empire. In fact, Daniel probably told Cyrus about the visions that he, Daniel, had seen and that Greece was going to blast the empire that Cyrus would leave behind.

Our appointment is forever. It seems that Cyrus believed. Do you? Will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment